2023 was another HUGE year in waste diversion for Breckenridge Grand Vacations! In total, we recycled 40,064 pounds of glass, 190,679 pounds of single-stream recycling, 60,840 pounds of compost, 4,270 pounds of electronic waste, and 12,500 pounds of scrap metal and appliances! Our company events also achieved very high diversion rates this year. The RAM Walk diverted 84% diversion, our company-wide picnic 83%, the housekeeping party diverted 50%, and the holiday party achieved an impressive 89% diversion rate!
In 2024, BGV Sustainability will be working on a resort composting initiative. With this initiative, we plan to have compost bins available under sinks at Grand Timber Lodge and Grand Lodge on Peak 7 and in the trash rooms at Grand Colorado on Peak 8. We hope this will encourage owners and guests to compost even more organic waste- a top contributor to the greenhouse gas methane when put into the landfill.
Sixty-three BGV employees and owners participated in our annual event, World Clean-Up Day, collecting over 35 bags of trash equivalent to 235 pounds and helping to keep Breckenridge beautiful!
There were countless other waste-reduction changes, big and small, across our resorts and departments. Some of these accomplishments include:
- At Grand Colorado on Peak 8, our annual fall promotional parties switched from disposable to durable dishware and cutlery. Through this change, we avoided more than 50,000 single-use plastic cups and over 8,000 plates and cutlery!
- Grand Lodge on Peak 7 Activities removed all plastic in gift wrapping.
- 95 employees participated in our bring-your-own plates/cutlery to our housekeeping party and employee picnic.
- In 2023, we expanded our donations program to reach more nonprofits, including some in the front range. We furnished employee housing, donated binders to schools, and decorative pillows for a backcountry hut!
- A single-use plastic ban was implemented in Breckenridge. Our sundry shops responded accordingly by switching to aluminum options where possible!
- Thirty zero-waste workers helped to achieve our high waste diversion rates at our company events throughout the year.