The New Year is here and that means resolutions are being made. In 2014, 66% of resolutions were weight loss and fitness oriented and only 8% of people kept their resolutions. There is nothing harder than making your weight loss resolution and then heading off to the mountains for some vacation fun. Don’t be discouraged, Breckenridge is the perfect place to make and keep those resolutions. We have compiled a list of tips that will help you stay on track with your resolution while on vacation!
While we all like to think that calories don’t count on vacation, but the scale says differently when we get home. Eating on vacation is always a favorite past time and there is no reason you can’t go out and have some delicious food while in Breckenridge. Try one of our recommended places to eat that will help you keep those calories in check while offering great dining experiences!
Park and Main: Park and Main is known for delicious quality food that is a mixture of American and international flavors. Menu items vary but some favorites are:
- The vegan arugula salad which contains roasted sweet potato, chick peas, pepperonata, zucchini, pickled onion and a sherry wine vinaigrette.
- The roasted salt and pepper sweet potato sandwich with braised Tuscan kale, caramelized onion, cucumber, pickled carrot, cilantro, chili mayo on a toasted baguette.
- The roasted beet sliders with herbed Colorado goat cheese, arugula, pickled and fresh onion, on a sweet potato bun.
Amazing Grace Natural Eatery: Amazing Grace is run under the philosophy that what you eat makes a big difference. Their food is made fresh-to-order from natural, wholesome ingredients. They have a breakfast and lunch menu which includes:
- The BOB which includes three eggs scrambled with cheese, spinach and tomato that is served with whole wheat toast and your choice of veggie or organic chicken apple sausage.
- Hummus delight sandwich with hummus, greens, tomatoes, carrots, zucchini, cucumbers and sprouts.
- Spicy tofu salad which contains mixed green, tomatoes, cucumbers, shredded carrots, zucchini , sprouts and a scoop of spicy tofu salad.
Soupz On: With a daily changing menu SoupZon is located beside City Market and a quick stop for a great bite to eat. Your options can include the Southwest Quinoa Salad, Thai Peanut Vegetable soup, Italian Chopped Salad or whatever the daily specials are. The daily menu of soups, salads and sandwiches are listed online and updated each day.
Mountain Flying Fish: If you are willing to try something that requires a little work to eat but is worth the extra effort then Mountain Flying Fish is for you. With a menu full of seafood delights you won’t mind taking your time savoring every bite with those chopsticks. Try the Wa-Fu-Seviche that is full of various seafood, cucumber, avocado and seaweed with a citrus soy vinaigrette, or try your favorite seafood sashimi style!
Blue River Bistro: While Blue River is known for their two-for-one happy hours they also have a wonderful selections of salads and healthy entrees. Nothing about these options is traditional or boring. Check out two of our favorites:
- Arugula salad with brown sugar & allspice Mahi Mahi with roasted pear, tossed cashews, golden raisins, goat cheese and an apple-poppy seed dressing.
- Ruby Red Trout with sautéed sage & shallots, beet beurre blanc, basil oil, roasted portabella & thyme faro and sautéed spinach.
Whether your goal is to lose weight or just simply involve more exercise in your daily life Breckenridge is a perfect place for either. With a vast array of activities that will get your heart pumping and muscles working, you can stay on track while enjoy some of the most beautiful sights. Below are some suggested activities with a caloric burn estimate. Do one of these daily and you will have no problem staying on track with your New Year’s goals.
- Snowshoeing: 300-600 calories per hour
- Snowboarding: 350-600 calories per hour
- Skiing: 350-600 calories per hour
- Cross Country Skiing: 400-800 calories per hour
Since only 8% of people stick to their goals it’s no surprise that loss of motivation is a huge factor in not keeping those resolutions. Nothing creates motivation like wanting to try out new gear, so do a little Main Street shopping to get your motivation at an all time high. Stop by Columbia and get some hiking boots to keep you motivated through the winter season, try Vertical Runner to get some new running shoes that will help you hit the pavement or maybe swinging on into Joy of Sox and get some fun socks that will help create a bit of joy while putting on your workout gear.
Whatever you do this vacation season, don’t forget that it is possible to have a fantastic vacation and keep those promises you made to yourself. Don’t let your resolutions put a damper on your vacation fun. Find a way to incorporate your goals into your everyday life, including your vacation life!